(1) The competition is open to all Singapore citizens and permanent residents who are at least 18 years of age at the point of application.
(2) Each entry must be an original work.
(3) The work must be published between 1 January 2020 and 31 December 2021.
(4) Anthologies of short stories, poetry, or essays by multiple authors are ineligible for this award.
(5) Only published works will be accepted. To be eligible, works must be published in a physical book format and available for general commercial release. E-books and audiobooks will not be considered for the award at this point.
(6) Collections of short stories, poetry, or essays in that have been published previously in newspapers, magazines, or online are eligible, as long as the book containing the material is published within the stipulated time frame.
(7) Reprints, updated editions and reissues from previous years are not eligible.
(8) Past SLP-winning titles translated from one language to another official language are eligible to enter SLP 2022, provided that the translated work has been published within the stipulated time frame.